Woman pleads guilty after assault on officer

A Morristown woman initially charged with attempted first-degree murder for driving over Morristown Police Department Cpl. David Klein in July 2018 on Wednesday pleaded guilty to greatly reduced charges of reckless aggravated assault and reckless endangerment.

Criminal Court Judge John F. Dugger Jr. sentenced Connie J. Davis, 59, to serve 100 percent of a three-year sentence. Davis has already served more than two years. After she’s released, she’ll be under court supervision for 10 years.

Assistant District Attorney General Connie Trobaugh this morning declined to discuss behind-the-scenes negotiations that led to the plea agreement. She did say that Klein, District Attorney General Dan Armstrong, and the lead investigator in the case, Detective Todd Davidson, signed off on the deal.

“She said it was an accident,” Trobaugh said. “We did not feel it was an accident.”

Klein underwent surgery to repair leg and ankle injuries. He has since returned to work, according to Morristown Police Chief Roger Overholt.

“This case highlights the dangers these officers face day-to-day that is often overlooked,” Overholt said. “In this case, Cpl. Klein was dispatched to the residence to render assistance. Once he came into contact with Ms. Davis, the encounter turned violent. We are glad that Cpl. Klein has recovered and has been able to return to work.”

Klein was injured after he was dispatched to West Hillcrest Drive to investigate a disturbance involving Davis’ unwillingness to leave a residence. She ignored Klein’s instructions to leave, and instead remained in her vehicle and began cursing officers. At some point, Klein decided to take her into custody for disorderly conduct.

The police officer was standing behind the open, driver-side door when Davis backed up, knocking him to the ground. Davis continued in reverse, running over Klein’s legs.

She was represented by Morristown attorney Matthew Evans.

“The defense and the district attorney’s office have compromised on a resolution that is fair under the circumstances of this case,” Evans said this morning. “My client, Connie Davis, is satisfied with the agreement and glad to have this matter behind her.”

If Davis had been convicted of attempted first-degree murder, she would have faced a 15-to-25-year prison term, and would have had to serve 85 percent of the sentence before she was parole-eligible, according to Trobaugh.