Assistant U.S. Attorney B. Todd Martin on Monday opened a door that could allow a 34-year old convicted felon from Sevierville to exit a Hamblen County-based federal prosecution by extraordinary means, according to court documents.

Without explanation, Martin filed a motion to dismiss charges against David Joshua Davis, who was indicted by a federal grand jury in December 2018 for being a convicted felon in possession of a firearm and ammunition.

U.S. District Judge Ronnie Greer had not ruled on the motion by late this morning, but federal judges seldom fail to grant prosecution motions of this nature.

Davis’ codefendant, Michael Dewayne Teal, 32, has already filed a plea agreement indicating he will plead guilty to being a convicted felon in possession of a firearm.

Davis and Teal were together at an abandoned residence on Statem Gap Road in September 2018 when Deputy Statler Collins found them in possession of a Hi-Point Model C9 pistol that had erroneously been reported stolen by Morristown woman, according to Detective Jackie Hickey with the Morristown Police Department.

The woman’s minor son actually gave the firearm to Teal and then told his mother the gun had been stolen. Davis implicated Teal as the one who offered the firearm to an employee of a motorcycle dealership, according to Teal’s plea agreement.

Teal appeared prominently on law enforcement’s radar in May 2017 when he and Dakota Truslow escaped from the Hamblen County Jail. Teal and his girlfriend were taken into custody in Knoxville a few days later when they crashed in a pursuit that began in Jefferson County and led onto John Sevier Highway in Knox County.

At the time of his arrest, Teal was on probation. His sentence would not have been flat until July 2027, according to the Tennessee Department of Correction. Teal has multiple prior felony convictions that could move him up with federal sentencing ladder.

He was convicted of selling Schedule II drugs and marijuana in Sevier County in 2008. He was found guilty of burglary in Cocke County in 2013, and he was convicted of escape and aggravated assault in Hamblen County four years later, according to his plea agreement.