The time has come again for the state of Tennessee to decide whether or not to allow Randy Lee May to walk free.
May, who brutally attacked two girls in July of 1980, killing one and leaving the other clinging to life, is up for parole again
There’s a chance that, if an Aug. 27 parole hearing goes his way, May could be free to rejoin society.
That’s an idea that Mary’s friends and family as well and May’s surviving victim – can’t stand.
“A monster can’t change,” Patty Conklin declared last year at a protest designed to rally support.
Pretending to be a police officer, Randy Lee May lured 15-year-old Mitzi Holt Sizemore and her 16-year-old friend Mary Jones into his car.
May took the two girls into the woods of eastern Hamblen County, and savagely attacked them.
He stabbed Sizemore three times in the chest, slashed her throat, and left her handcuffed to a tree to die.
Sizemore could only listen as May slaughtered, violated, and killed Jones.
When May realized Sizemore was still alive, he returned to her and stabbed her again. His plan was to leave no living witness.
Left alone in the woods, Sizemore shredded the flesh off her hands to escape the cuffs, made her way to help, and eventually survived to see her attacker jailed.
For the past several Augusts, May has come before the parole board with the option of being freed on the table.
“We’re going to let him out some day,” a prison official told the family after 2018’s parole hearing, adding if it was up to the family, May would never leave prison.
In one way, the prison official wasn’t wrong. Any parole of May is unacceptable in their eyes.
“The day he dies in prison, he still hasn’t paid his debt,” Mary’s brother J.D. told the Tribune in 2017.
Conkin says that although May apologized in 2016, he is – in many ways – the same monster that taunted his surviving victim and their families. At last year’s parole hearing, he was still shifting blame, saying Mary’s calm reaction when she saw Mitzi’s wounded body scared him and caused him to slash her throat.
The family is asking for the community’s support in letting the parole board know that May’s release would be unwelcome.
The Board of Parole accepts both letters of support and letters of opposition from the public regarding offenders who are eligible for parole consideration. Each letter is placed in the offender’s file, so they are available for board review.
The board asks senders to include the offender’s full name and TOMIS number, 00091106.
If sending a letter via email, the sender can just write the information they want the board to consider into the body of the email, and type their name at the end of the letter. They don’t have to send a separate attachment.
All letters of opposition are confidential, and are processed by the Board’s Victim Services Division.
Any written comments may be sent to the Board of Parole at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Previously, David Purkey, the former Tennessee Commissioner of Homeland Security and Safety, wrote a letter to the board encouraging them to deny May’s parole. On the day of the attack, Purkey was an EMT working in the ER at Morristown-Hamblen Hospital.
In his letter, he described the chaotic scene as medical personnel fought to save the lives May had tried to snuff out.
“Because I lived this night in that emergency room with both these girls (one savagely murdered, the other scarred for life), I implore you to deny this request for parole,” he wrote. “Randy Lee May deserves additional time in state custody to carry the burden of his calculated acts.”