Each Generation X-File Friday the Citizen Tribune shares a photo from the formative years of Generation X. Born from 1965 to 1981, coming on the heels of the Boomer Generation, there were 58,541,842 children born into Generation X. The formative years of Generation X, from the 1970s through the year 2000, were marked by extreme highs and extreme lows. Generation X was marked by a rise in opportunities for women and minorities but also skyrocketing divorce rates, time-poor parents and a mobile society that affected Generation X’s ability to put down roots. The core values of Generation X are self reliance/independence, cynicism/distrust and being disengaged. Generation Xers are also the family first generation, placing more value on time with their own families than their parents did.
Get the Citizen Tribune's headlines in your inbox every day at 2:30pm. Sign up for our free daily newsletter.
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
- Urgency to bear witness grows for last Hiroshima victims
- McDavid's hat trick propels Oilers past Blackhawks 6-3
- Cronenworth, Paddack help Padres beat Dodgers 5-4
- The Latest: UN says 1 billion students affected by closures
- Rockies beat Giants 7-6, match best start in team history
- Bryant homers, Mills shines as surging Cubs beat Royals 2-0
- Marlins' Jeter blames outbreak on 'false sense of security'
- Pac-12 responds to football players threatening opt-outs
- Perry: Multiple teachers, counselors and support staff members test positive for COVID
- Hamblen County Mayor to issue mask mandate
- West AJ Fastop to be torn down, rebuilt with Dunkin Donuts
- Newport McDonald’s to undergo big changes over three months
- Update: MPD officers shoot and kill armed murder suspect
- Armed murder suspect shot and killed by MPD officers
- East Tennessee Diamond bounces back from temporary closure before hitting pause
- Newport Utilities discover federal investigation under way
- School Matters: An update on the school year calendar and more
- Hawkins delays start of schools until Aug. 17