Authorities searching for suspected victim in Cocke County fire

Authorities examine the smoldering remains of a house on Anise Way in the Point Pleasant community of Cocke County. The search for a suspected victim continued Wednesday.

At last report, Cocke County authorities were continuing to search for a suspected victim of a Tuesday morning fire on Anise Way in the Point Pleasant community.

Chief Cocke County Deputy Derrick Woods said a call came in just before 9 a.m.

“When our officers got on the scene, they were told by family members that another family member possibly did not get out of the fire. A total of five people were in the home, and four were able to escape. Two of the occupants were transported to the Newport Medical Center for medical treatment. We have reached out to the office of District Attorney Jimmy Dunn and the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation to assist.”

Fire investigators with the TBI are working with local sheriff’s detectives. Woods said because of the heat of the fire it was some time before investigators could begin a search of the debris and as of this morning, no body had been recovered.

Investigators spotted what appear to be trails of an accelerant leading from the burned home, however, Woods said he has no information regarding that aspect of the investigation.

At last report investigators were still trying to pinpoint the cause of the blaze.

The two individuals taken to the hospital were treated for smoke inhalation.

Two of the home occupants ran three-quarters of a mile from the private driveway to a neighbor’s home to contact authorities.

Cocke Deputy Zach Shelton was the first law officers on the scene.

“The structure was fully involved in fire and I could only get within about 20 feet of the fire because it was so hot. Portions of the roof had already fallen in and soon thereafter the whole roof collapsed,” Shelton said.

The Cocke County Fire Department and the Centerview, Parrottsville and Long Creek volunteer fire departments battled the blaze, which also destroyed two vehicles parked near the home. They were assisted by Cocke County EMA Director Joe Esway and the Newport Rescue Squad.

The large older log home was owned by Mary “Teetsie” Redman, who reportedly has not been seen since the fire.