US Army identifies Green Beret killed in Afghanistan

FORT BRAGG, N.C. (AP) — A 41-year-old Green Beret who was on his fourth combat deployment has been killed by small arms fire in Afghanistan.

U.S. Army Special Operations Command spokesman Loren Bymer at North Carolina’s Fort Bragg said in a statement that Sgt. 1st Class Jeremy W. Griffin died Monday.

Griffin was from Greenbrier, Tennessee, and was a Special Forces communications sergeant based at Joint Base Lewis-McCord in Washington state.

Bymer said Griffin was engaged in combat operations in Afghanistan’s Wardak Province.

Col. Owen G. Ray, commander, 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne), said Griffin was a “warrior” and a “respected and loved Special Forces Soldier.”

Griffin joined the Army in 2004. He was posthumously awarded the Bronze Star Medal and Purple Heart.

He is the 17th American servicemember to die this year in Afghanistan.

MPD missing teen found

Morristown Police Department investigators said a missing teen has been found after asking for the public’s help in locating 17-year-old Austin Harrell.

Harrell left his Lincoln Avenue residence on September 15.

Wyrick named US magistrate

Chief Judge Pamela L. Reeves of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee has announced the appointment of attorney Cynthia Richardson Wyrick of Sevierville as a United States Magistrate Judge.

Magistrate Judge-designee Wyrick fills the position vacated by former Magistrate Judge Clifton L. Corker, who was appointed a U.S. District Judge on July 26. She will serve in the court’s Northeastern Division, which has offices in the James H. Quillen U.S. Courthouse in Greeneville, Tennessee.

Chief Judge Reeves will administer the oath of office to Judge-designee Wyrick in an informal ceremony at the Greeneville federal courthouse on September 30. A formal investiture will be scheduled for a later date, Chief Judge Reeves said.

Man injured in motorcycle crash

A 51-year-old motorcyclist suffered non-life-threatening injuries this morning in a one-vehicle crash on Highway 160, near the intersection with Fish Hatchery Road, according to the Morristown Police Department.

Bryan Burch, who was wearing a helmet, sustained facial wounds and road rash. He was airlifted to the University of Tennessee Medical Center in Knoxville following the 12:14 a.m. traffic accident, according to Sgt. Brian Sulfridge, an MPD crash reconstructionist.

Burch, who was riding a Yamaha Road Warrior, was southbound on Highway 160, making the rightward bend at Fish Hatchery Road when he lost control of the bike. Burch came to rest in the paved median. His bike traveled into the northbound lane, according to Sulfridge,

“Alcohol is being investigated as a factor,” Sulfridge said. A blood draw was conducted at the Knoxville hospital.

Transformer firm to create 150 more jobs

DYERSBURG (AP) — A company that produces transformers is planning to invest $12 million in an expansion in Tennessee that is expected to create 150 jobs.

The state Department of Economic and Community Development says ERMCO, Inc. will grow its operations in Dyersburg, where the company currently has its headquarters. ERMCO plans to expand to a third building and will add 8,000 more square feet to the facility, which used to house Caterpillar.

ERMCO is a large-scale producer of oil-filled distribution transformers and transformer components. The company is a subsidiary of Arkansas Electric Cooperatives, Inc. and has been operating in Dyersburg since 1971.

2 jail officers charged with tampering with records

MCMINNVILLE (AP) — Tennessee authorities say two former jail officers have been charged with tampering with government records following an inmate’s death.

A statement from the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation says 22-year-old Zechariah Jacob Clark and 28-year-old Steven Thomas Mason were indicted on Sept.6 and arrested Monday. The agency says the arrests stem from the death of a Warren County Jail inmate in January.

The bureau says during its investigation of the death, agents developed information that Clark and Mason did not conduct a required jail walk-through. The statement says jail logs were altered at some point to show that the walk-through had been completed.

Neither man still works at the jail.

It wasn’t immediately clear whether Clark and Mason have attorneys.