Humane society to host Pumpkins N’ Paws

The Morristown-Hamblen Humane Society, 5251 E. Morris Boulevard, will be hosting Pumpkins N’ Paws Saturday, starting at 11 a.m.

The event will include a small pumpkin patch, kids’ activities, a petting zoo, vendor sales and adoption specials.

There will also be $5 food plates, provided by Ana’s Kitchen.

The kids activities will include a pumpkin painting, face painting, witches ring toss and find the eyeballs.

Vendors include Paparazzi, May Family Chiropractic, Barkery Tails, 1907 Brewing Companya and Pink Zebra.

The event will be from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m.

MPD seeking to identify driver in hit and run

The Morristown Police Department is seeking the public’s help in identifying a nominally compassionate female motorist who left the scene after colliding with a Morristown-Hamblen High School West student Tuesday afternoon.

Logan Woody, a 16-year-old sophomore, sustained a broken right hand and road rash on an elbow and shoulder, his mother, Jill Harbin, said this morning.

Detective Jackie Hickey described the suspect as a white female who was driving a southbound silver SUV. After striking the teen, the suspect exited the vehicle, hugged Woody and then drove away, according to Hickey.

The SUV-versus-pedestrian crash occurred shortly after 3 p.m. in a school crosswalk on Sulphur Springs Road when many pedestrians and motorists were in the area.

Those with information about the driver’s identity are encouraged to contact the MPD at 423-585-2710 during business hours or the non-emergency 911 number, 423-585-2701 before and after business hours.

Greene County men indicted in crystal meth prosecutions

Two Greene County men were indicted by a federal grand jury in Greeneville on Tuesday in similar, but unrelated crystal-meth prosecutions, according to court documents.

Both Randy Lee Mercer, who lives in Chuckey, and Marty D. Hyatt, who lives in Mosheim, were indicted for possession of more than 5 grams of methamphetamine and possession of a firearm in furtherance of a drug-trafficking offense.

Mercer, 52, was arrested on May 9. He is a convicted felon whose sentence isn’t flat until August 2028, according to the Tennessee Department of Correction.

Hyatt, 45, is also a convicted felon, according to the TDOC. He was taken into custody on Sept. 10, according to the indictment. His state prison sentence was flat in November 2006,

Pilot escapes downed plane

SOMERVILLE (AP) — A 74-year-old pilot didn’t suffer serious injuries when his plane’s landing geared snapped and the aircraft downed into a Tennessee field and caught fire.

News outlets report that on Wednesday afternoon Floyd Yarbro escaped the wreckage before it burst into flames not far from where he’d taken off at the Fayette County Airport. The county sheriff’s office says he was examined at a Memphis hospital and let go.

Sheriff’s officials think the plane experienced engine trouble, then key gear didn’t deploy properly as he went to make an emergency landing.

The plane became fully engulfed in flames minutes after he escaped.

Aviation records obtained by WREG say he was piloting a single-engine plane manufactured about 45 years ago.

The Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board are investigating.

Soldier home from deployment fatally shot

LENOIR CITY (AP) — Authorities in Tennessee say they’re looking for suspects in the fatal shooting of a National Guard soldier who recently returned from deployment. News outlets report 35-year-old Specialist Jacob Bishop was found dead in his home last week, bound and shot multiple times.

Loudon County Sheriff Tim Guider says the department is investigating several leads. He says they’re looking for a white SUV that witnesses say was in the area days before Bishop’s death.

County Spokesman Cpl. Matthew Fagiana says Bishop was a member of the Tennessee National Guard and had recently been deployed to Poland. He says the unit returned a few months ago.

Police identify naked body found floating in river

NASHVILLE (AP) — Police in Tennessee have identified a body found floating naked in the Cumberland River over the weekend.

Nashville Metro Police confirmed Tuesday that the woman discovered by an off-duty officer on a jetski was 43-year-old Sonta Tycee Gentry. Police spokesman Sgt. Noble Taylor said Gentry was found dead and unclothed on Saturday afternoon with a laceration on her leg and possible head trauma. Investigators don’t think she’d been in the water for long.

The Tennessean reports Gentry’s cause and manner of death haven’t been released.

Police said one of her co-workers at a local grocery store called authorities and told them she thought a description she heard on the news was that of Gentry.

Investigators say Gentry recently moved to Tennessee, and fingerprints on file in Alabama confirmed her identity.

Sun rises on day of prayer, humility, fasting

NASHVILLE (AP) — Tennessee is waking up to its first official “Day of Prayer, Humility and Fasting.”

Gov. Bill Lee issued a proclamation last month declaring the designation for Oct. 10.

The Christian governor said in a video posted to Twitter last month that he and his wife, Maria, will use the day to offer prayers of hope, healing, thanksgiving and forgiveness. The event comes just days after Yom Kippur, a Jewish high holiday that involves a 25-hour fasting period that’s coupled with prayers for forgiveness.

Lee says prayer “accomplishes much,” as it strengthens relationships within families, the community and with God “himself.”

He says all Tennesseans are invited to take part in the day, which Lee says will “further acknowledge the need to give thanks to God Almighty.”

Man who gouged out ex’s eyes committed to mental facility

CHATTANOOGA (AP) — A Tennessee man who stabbed a woman and gouged out her eyes has been committed to a mental health facility.

A Chattanooga Police news release says Michael Deshun Roberson was committed Wednesday to the Middle Tennessee Mental Health Institute at the request of prosecutors.

The Hamilton County judge ruled he can’t be released without a hearing and court permission.

Roberson was charged with attempted first-degree murder and aggravated assault in the September 2017 attack on his ex-girlfriend, which whom he shares a son.

Chattanooga man sentenced on child porn charges

On Oct. 9, James Nickolas Renfro, 27, of Chattanooga was sentenced by the Honorable Curtis L. Collier, Senior U.S. District Court Judge, to serve 200 months in federal prison.

Renfro pleaded guilty in June, to distributing child pornography.

The defendant admitted in Court that he had placed an online advertisement offering to permit other collectors of child pornography to engage in a live online session with an 8-year-old child while the child was in a bathtub.

The advertisement included nude images of an acquaintance’s child in a bathtub. The defendant admitted that his goal was to trade the live sessions for images of child pornography.

The defendant surrendered his electronic devices to law enforcement officials, and a subsequent search of his devices revealed numerous images of child pornography.

“Individuals who distribute child pornography further injure innocent victims each time these illegal images are distributed more widely online,” said John Condon, special agent in charge of Homeland Security Investigations Nashville. “Child sex abuse is one of the most serious crimes HSI investigates due to the lasting psychological and physical damage it can inflict on victims, and as such it will continue to be one of the agency’s highest priorities.”

Man gets 15-plus years in prison for heroin death

MEMPHIS (AP) — A Tennessee man has been sentenced to more than 15 years in federal prison for selling heroin to a man who died of an overdose.

The U.S. attorney’s office in Memphis said U.S. District Judge John Fowlkes sentenced David Mitchell Murray on Friday.

Murray previously pleaded guilty to conspiracy to distribute heroin resulting in the death of Sean Heywood in March 2016.

Prosecutors say Heywood made an arrangement over the phone with Glenda Aldape to buy $75 dollars’ worth of heroin. Aldape sent Murray to deliver the heroin to Heywood.

Heywood’s father later found him unresponsive on the bathroom floor. An autopsy showed Heywood died of a lethal heroin dose.

Fowlkes sentenced Murray to 15 years and eight months in prison. Aldape received a 20-year sentence in May.