Ready by Six

Is your home a learning place?

Posted on July 12, 2014 at 6:24 pm

Editor’s Note: Ready By Six is a partnership of education stakeholders dedicated to broadening the parents’ and the community’s awareness of skills needed to be fully ready to succeed in school and providing resources to assist parents in ensuring their children are school prepared. From the day children are born until they graduate from high school, they spend just 15 percent of their waking hours in school. The other 85

Read Full Story

Ready by Six » Older Stories

  • Take time to answer questions

    Posted on July 5, 2014 at 7:35 pm

    Editor’s Note: Ready By Six is a partnership of education stakeholders dedicated to broadening the parents’ and the community’s awareness of skills needed to be fully ready to succeed in school and providing resources to assist parents in ensuring their children are school prepared. There is one word that regularly punctuates the day for parents and caregivers of young children: “Why?” “Why is the sky blue?” “Why is my sister’s

    Read Full Story
  • Perceptions

    Posted on June 28, 2014 at 7:23 pm

    Teaching your child he or she is “good enough” as they are from a young age is beyond beneficial in their older years.

    Editor’s Note: Ready By Six is a partnership of education stakeholders dedicated to broadening the parents’ and the community’s awareness of skills needed to be fully ready to succeed in school and providing resources to assist parents in ensuring their children are school prepared. “I’m not good enough. I’m dumb” was the three-year-old’s answer when the teacher at his child care center asked why he didn’t want to join in

    Read Full Story
  • Kindergarten readiness is more than academics

    Posted on May 28, 2014 at 1:51 pm

      A recent newspaper headline heralded budget meetings between the Shelby County Board of C o m m i s s i o n e r s and Shelby County Schools officials, but the real headline for us was at the bottom of the story: Board Chairman Kevin Woods said “67% of our children entering kindergarten are not performing at grade level.” He also said 60% of third graders cannot

    Read Full Story
  • Give your child a head start on physical well-being

    Posted on May 1, 2014 at 1:15 pm

    Editor’s Note: Ready By Six is a partnership of education stakeholders dedicated to broadening the parents’ and the community’s awareness of skills needed to be fully ready to succeed in school and providing resources to assist parents in ensuring their children are school prepared. Ready By Six, a partnership of stakeholders in Tennessee focused on increasing the awareness of parents and the public of skills needed by children to be

    Read Full Story
  • Imagination Library proves to help future students

    Posted on May 1, 2014 at 1:08 pm

    Editor’s Note: Ready By Six is a partnership of education stakeholders dedicated to broadening  the parents’ and the community’s awareness of skills needed to be fully ready to succeed in school and providing resources to assist parent in ensuring their children are school prepared. Dolly Parton is a very smart woman with a rich imagination. Back in 2004, when she and Tennessee’s Governor Bredesen began discussing Dolly’s idea that children

    Read Full Story
  • Help your child become a reader

    Posted on May 1, 2014 at 1:05 pm

    Editor’s Note: Ready By Six is a partnership of education stakeholders dedicated to broadening the parents’ and the community’s awareness of skills needed to be fully ready to succeed in school and providing resources to assist parents in ensuring their children are school prepared. From the day children are born until they graduate from high school, they spend 15 percent of their waking hours in school. The other 85 percent

    Read Full Story
  • Parton’s love for reading runs deep in family roots

    Posted on May 1, 2014 at 1:03 pm

    Editor’s Note: Ready By Six is a partnership of education stakeholders dedicated to broadening the parents’ and the community’s awareness of skills needed to be fully ready to succeed in school and providing resources to assist parents in ensuring their children are school prepared. As a little girl growing up poor in a very rural part of Sevier County, Dolly Parton didn’t have books in her home. Her father was

    Read Full Story
  • Eating healthy foods

    Posted on May 1, 2014 at 1:00 pm

    Editor’s Note: Ready By Six is a partnership of education stakeholders dedicated to broadening the parents’ and the community’s awareness of skills needed to be fully ready to succeed in school and providing resources to assist parents in ensuring their children are school prepared. Food. That four-letter word that is common ground for all of us. Much has been written through the centuries about food and how it affects mind,

    Read Full Story

Headlines of the Day