Trial date set for couple in grape soda death

Posted on Friday, February 7, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Criminal Court Judge John F. Dugger Jr. this morning set an Oct. 20 trial date for accused child-killers Randall Lee Vaughn and his wife, Mary Lavonne Vaughn.

Vaughn’s 5-year-old child, Alexa Linboom, died in January 2012 after the couple forced her to drink so much water and grape drink that she died from water intoxication, according to District Attorney General C. Berkeley Bell Jr.

Bell says the couple was punishing the 5-year-old for drinking grape soda without permission.

A Hawkins County grand jury indicted them for first-degree, felony murder and aggravated child abuse and neglect.

The public defender’s office will represent Mrs. Vaughn, who is 61 years old. Her 41-year-old husband indicated he plans to retain Gerald Eidson, a private attorney. Mr. Vaughn’s family is supposed to report back to Dugger by Feb. 21 on whether they’ve hired Eidson.

A pretrial conference has been scheduled for the Vaughns, who remain in the Hawkins County Jail in lieu of $500,000 bonds.

According to the Hawkins County Sheriff’s Office and the autopsy report, Alexa Linboom was brought in to the emergency room on Jan. 1, 2012, by her father, Randall Vaughn, and his wife, Mary Vaughn.

The girl was blue and unresponsive with “an abnormal body posture that indicates severe brain damage,” according to the autopsy, which was completed in July 2013.

An investigation revealed the girl had been forced to drink approximately 2.4 liters of water and soda over one to two hours as punishment. The massive intake of fluid caused her brain to swell and herniate.

According to the autopsy, when she was forced to drink all that liquid, she began vomiting, urinated on herself and asked to take a bath.

“Outside of the bathtub, she tried to eat oatmeal with assistance then started clenching her hands.” She arrived at the hospital about 2 to 3 hours later.

“Caretakers told hospital staff that during the ride to the hospital, she sat up in the vehicle and played patty cake,” according to the autopsy.

She was transported by air to a regional hospital where she was pronounced brain dead two days later.

The autopsy states that the girl had moved to Tennessee to live with her father about three months before her death.

The move was prompted by allegations of neglect at her previous home.

A pediatric check-up about three months before her death had shown no significant problems.

She was taken to an outpatient clinic about a month before her death for excessive thirst, urination and eating, but nothing was found to be wrong with her.

According to the autopsy, “Other adults who had regular contact with the child before and after her move to Tennessee describe her as a normal, healthy child and did not notice any unusual eating, drinking habits and that she did not wet her pants at school.”

Tennessee Department of Children’s Services spokesman Rob Johnson confirmed that Alexa had lived in the home with five other children, some of whom were siblings and some of whom were half-siblings.

The other children were removed from the house in Feb. 2013 and remain in DCS custody.

-From Staff & Wire Reports

Headlines of the Day