Morristown Theatre Guild Inc. is the oldest, continually running community theatre in Tennessee. Since its first performance in 1934, the Theatre Guild has enjoyed 78 years of bringing Morristown together as a community.
In 1956, the Guild purchased a former church on South Hill Street in Morristown, originally constructed in 1840, and held performances there for nearly five decades before shutting the doors. In 2012, the Guild began a restoration and modernization effort on the South Hill Street theater.
The Guild has returned to the ways of its early days and become somewhat of a vagabond theatre troupe. The Guild holds its auditions, rehearsals and performances in various locations around Morristown, including Rose Center, Walters State Community College, schools and churches.
During the 1970s, the Theatre Guild began working with the Kiwanis Club of Morristown on the club’s annual fundraiser, Kiwanis Kapers. The Theatre Guild has made several other partnerships, including Rose Center, Walters State Community College, the Boys and Girls Club, Morristown Hamblen Central Services and the Hamblen County School System. The partnerships have allowed the Guild and its partners to create more entertainment and joint fundraising activities.
The Guild performed in the summer of 2012 at the Clayton Center for the Performing Arts at Maryville College as part of a community theatre festival weekend.
More information about the Theatre Guild Inc. of Morristown is available by calling 423-586-9260 or visiting www. theatreguildinc.org.