Smoky Mountain Book Festival at Heritage Center
Back to Calendar
October 27, 2012 @ 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
✔ Add to Calendar
Add to Google Calendar
Townsend – The first-ever Smoky Mountain Book Festival will take place on Saturday, October 27, from 10 AM to 5 PM at theHeritageCenterin Townsend.
The day includes local dignitaries reading to children, book giveaways, puppet shows, area authors’ presentations on a broad range of topics, an authors’ roundtable discussion, and book signings by 11 local and regional authors.
1) Local Dignitaries read to children:
10:40 AM Townsend Mayor Michael Talley, reading from The Troublesome Cub
12:00 PM Blount County Mayor Ed Mitchell, The Great Salamander Ball
1:30 PM Maryville Mayor Tom Taylor, We’re Going to the Mountains
3:00 PM Alcoa Mayor Don Mull, The Troublesome Cub
Copies of the books read by dignitaries will be signed both by each book’s author and the presenter, and presenters will give away the book they read at the end of each reading. Winners must be present to win.
2) Kids On The Block Children’s Puppet Shows, Transportation Gallery
10:00 AM, “Feelings are Important”
11:15 AM, “Don’t Just Sit There – Do Something”
12:45 PM, “You’re Not the Boss of Me”
2:15 PM, “Stranger Danger”
3) Register to win children’s books in the Center’s Transportation Gallery, sponsored by Great Smoky Mountains Association — four winners per title, including The Troublesome Cub, The Great Salamander Ball, and We’re Going to the Mountains. Winners do not have to be present to win.
4) Distinguished Authors Presentations, Auditorium
11:00 AM Bill Lea, “Great Smoky MountainsBears – A Photographic Journey”
12:15 PM Sam Venable, “Appalachian Culture and Humor”
2:45 PM Allen Coggins, “Place Names of the Smokies”
3:30 PM Joel Zachry, “Bears I’ve Met”
5) Authors Roundtable Discussion: “The Writing Life,” with Q & A, Auditorium, 1:30 – 2:30 PM. Moderated by The Daily Times Managing Editor Frank “Buzz” Trexler, authors include Linda Braden Albert, Steve Kemp, Loletta Clouse, Charles Blake Johnson, and Jack Hurst.
6) Book Signing with 11 Local and Regional Authors, Main Gallery, throughout the day:
Linda Braden Albert: Co-author of Images of America: Blount County, Tennessee
Loletta Clouse: Author of four historical novels set in Tennessee: Wilder; The Homesteads; Mallie; and Rainbow by Moonlight.
Allen Coggins: freelance writer and author of Place Names of the Smokies and Tennessee Tragedies: Natural, Technological, and Societal Disasters in the Volunteer State.
6) Book Signing with 11 Local and Regional Authors, Main Gallery, throughout the day (continued):
Ken Cornett: Co-author of Images of America: Blount County, Tennessee
Jack Hurst: Author of Men on Fire: Grant, Forrest, and the Campaign That Decided the Civil War; Nathan Bedford Forrest: A Biography; and Born to Battle
Charles Blake Johnson: Journalist and author of the historical novels The Last Beloved Woman; and The Chosen One; and one suspense novel – Bailout.
Steve Kemp: Award winning freelance writer and author of Trees of the Smokies; Smoky Mountain Impressions; Great Smoky Mountains: Natural Wonder, National Park.
Bill Lea: Nature photographer and author of Great Smoky Mountains Wildlife Portfolio and Cades Cove: Window to a Secret World.
Dean Stone: Editor of The Daily Times and author of Snapshots of Blount County, Volumes 1 – 5.
Sam Venable: Storyteller, humorist, and columnist for the Knoxville News Sentinel; author of nine books, among them From Ridgetops to Riverbottoms; Mountain Hands; You Gotta Laugh to Keep From Crying; Someday I May Find Honest Work: A Newspaper Humorist’s Life; One Size Fits All; Mountain Hands; From Ridgetops to Riverbottoms; and Rock-Elephant.
Joel Zachry: Outdoor guide, professional backcountry instructor, and author of Bears We’ve Met: Short Stories of Close Encounters.
For more information, call 865-448-0044, or email firstname.lastname@example.org